Professor of Physiotherapy
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 7143
Department of Physiotherapy, A-11
School of Clinical Sciences
Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences
AUT University, Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
PhD, MPhEd(Distn), DipPhyEd, DipPT
Across his academic career, Peter has published over 150 peer reviewed journal articles in the fields of orthopaedics, rehabilitation, biomechanics and rheumatology. He has international collaborations with research groups in France, Belgium and Denmark and Canada. Peter has Editorial and Advisory Board roles on five international journals in areas related to biomechanics and rehabilitation. He is also the Chair of the Research Committee of the International Federation of Sports Physical Therapy, and is an expert advisor to the Health and Disability Commissioner. Over the past five years, he has been a member of five research teams that have been in receipt of international awards for their work.
- Functional anatomy
- Exercise Rehabilitation
- Research methods
- Biomechanics and exercise rehabilitation particularly involving joint injuries and arthritis
- Laboratory work: electromyography, motion analysis, proprioception, strength and power assessment
- Clinical research: exercise rehabilitation, chronic pain, and the in-vivo analyses of extensibility of the soft tissues such as muscle and tendon
- McNair, PJ. Invited review. The growing cause of disability following limb injuries. New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy 41(1):20-22, 2013
- McKay C, Prapavessis H and McNair P. Comparing the Lower Limb Tasks Questionnaire to the WOMAC: Agreement, responsiveness, and convergence with physical performance for knee osteoarthritis patients. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 94(3):474-9, 2013
- Cadogan A, McNair P, Laslett M and Hing W. Shoulder pain in primary care. Diagnostic accuracy of clinical examination tests for non-traumatic acromioclavicular joint pain. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 1;14:156. 2013.
- McNair P, Nordez A, Olds M, Young SW, Cornu C. Biomechanical properties of the plantar flexor muscle-tendon complex 6 months post-rupture of the achilles tendon. J Orthop Res. Sep;31(9):1469-74, 2013
- Marshall, RN., & McNair, PJ. Biomechanical risk factors and mechanisms of knee injury in golfers. Sports Biomechanics. 12(3), 221-230, 2013.
- Javaid Z, Unsworth CP, Boocock M, McNair P. Fast identification & modelling of osteoarthritic holes in the human knee with contour interpolated radial basis functions. IEEE Eng Med Biol Jul:4438-41, 2013.
- Rome K, Stewart S, Vandal AC, Gow P, McNair P, Dalbeth N. The effects of commercially available footwear on foot pain and disability in people with gout: a pilot study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2013 Sep 24;14:278.
- Lewis GN, Leys A, Rice DA, McNair PJ. Subconscious Manipulation of Pain Expectation Can Modulate Cortical Nociceptive Processing. Pain Pract. 2013 Dec 11. doi: 10.1111/papr.12157.
- Cadogan, A., McNair, P., Laslett, M., Hing, W., & Taylor, S. (2013). Diagnostic accuracy of clinical examination features for identifying large rotator cuff tears in primary health care. Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy, 21(3), 148-159. 2013
- Young S, Patel A, Zhu M, van Dijck S, McNair P, Bevan W, Tomlinson M. Weight bearing in the non operative treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures- a randomised controlled trial. J Bone and Joint Surg in press
- Rome K, Frecklington M, McNair P, Gow P, Dalbeth N, Footwear characteristics and factors influencing footwear choice in patients with gout. Arthritis Care and Rheumatism 63(11):1599-604, 2012.
- Rome K, Frecklington M, McNair P, Gow P, Dalbeth N. Foot pain, impairment and disability in patients with acute gout flares; a prospective observational study. Arthritis Care and Research 64(3):384-8, 2012.
- Reid, D, McNair P, Johnson S, Potts G, Witvrouw E, Mathieu N. Electromyographic analysis of an eccentric calf muscle exercise in presons with and without Achilles tendinopathy. Physical Therapy in Sports 13(3):150-155, 2012.
- Laslett, M., McNair, P., Cadogan, A., & Hing, W. (Comparison of a novel direct measure of rapid pain intensity change to traditional serial 100mm VAS measurement of pain intensity. Clinical Journal of Pain, 28(8), 675-682, 2012.
- Lewis G, Heales L, Rice D, Rome K, McNair P. The reliability of assessing brainstem pathways that modulate pain. Pain Research and Management 17(2): 98-102, 2012.
- Stavric, V. A., & McNair, P. J. Optimizing muscle power after stroke: A cross-sectional study. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 9, 67, 2012.
- Lewis G, Rice D, Jourdain K, McNair P. Influence of stimulus location and posture on the reliability and comfort of the nociceptive flexion reflex. Pain Research and Management 17(2): 110-114, 2012.
- Lewis, G., Vandal, A. C., & McNair, P. A method to monitor upper limb movement direction encoding in the corticomotor pathway. Journal of Motor Behavior, 44(4), 223-232, 2012.
- Ellis, R., Hing, W. A., & McNair, P. J. Comparison of longitudinal sciatic nerve movement with different mobilization exercises: An in-vivo study utilizing ultrasound imaging. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 42(8), 667-675, 2012.
- McNair, P., & Lewis, G. Invited paper: Levels of evidence in medicine. International Journal of Sports Physiotherapy, 7(5), 474-481, 2012.
- Smythe, E., Larmer, P. J., & McNair, P. J. Insights from a physiotherapist's lived experience of osteoarthritis. Physiother Theory Pract, 28(8), 604-616, 2012.
- Lewis, G. N., Rice, D. A., & McNair, P. J. Conditioned pain modulation in populations with chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Pain, 13(10), 936-944. 2012.
- Cadogan, A., Laslett, M., Hing, W., McNair, P., & Taylor, S. M. Clinical examination predictors of positive response to guided diagnostic block into the subacromial bursa. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 44(8), 877-884., 2012.
- Foure, A, Nordez, A, McNair, P, Cornu, C. Effects of plyometric training on both active and passive parts of the plantarflexors series elastic component stiffness of muscle-tendon complex. European Journal of Applied Physiology 111(3): 539-542, 2011
- Cadogan, A., Laslett, M., Hing, W. A., McNair, P. J., & Coates, M. H. A prospective study of shoulder pain in primary care: Prevalence of imaged pathology and response to guided diagnostic blocks. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 12(1), 119, 2011.
- Cadogan A, Laslett M, Hing W, Williams M and McNair P Reliability of a new hand-held dynamometer in measuring shoulder range of motion and strength. Manual Therapy 16(1):97-101, 2011
- Cadogan A, Laslett M, Hing W, Williams M and McNair P. Inter-examiner Reliability of Orthopaedic Special Tests Used in the Clinical Assessment of the Painful Shoulder. Manual Therapy 16(2):131-5. 2011
- Rome K, Survepalli D, Sanders A, Lobo, M, McQueen F, McNair P, and Dalbeth D Functional and biomechanical characteristics of foot disease in chronic gout: a case-control study Clin Biomechanics Jan;26(1):90-4. 2011
- Rome K, Survepalli D, Sanders A, Lobo, M, McQueen F, McNair P, and Dalbeth D Test-retest reliability of gait and plantar pressure measurements in patients with chronic gout. Journal of American Podiatric Medical Association 101(5):424-9, 2011.
- Reid D, and McNair P. Effects of a six week lower limb stretching programme on range of motion, peak passive torque and stiffness in people with and without osteoarthritis of the knee. New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy 39(1):5-12, 2011
- McNair P, Colvin M, Reid D. Predicting maximal strength of quadriceps from sub-maximal performance in individuals with knee joint osteoarthritis. Arthritis Research and Therapy 63(2):216-22, 2011
- Rice, DA, McNair, PJ and Lewis GN. Mechanisms of quadriceps muscle weakness in knee joint osteoarthritis: the effects of prolonged vibration on torque and muscle activation in osteoarthritic and healthy control subjects. Arthritis Care and Research 20;13(5):R151. 2011
- Larmer P, McNair P, Smyth L, Williams M. Ankle sprains: patient perceptions of function and performance of physical task. A mixed methods approach. Disability and Rehabilitation 33(23-24):2299-304, 2011
- Olds, M. and McNair, P. Active stiffness in the unstable shoulder. Journal of Athletic Training 46(6):642-7, 2011
- Fouré, A., Nordez, A., McNair, P., & Cornu, C. Effects of plyometric training on both active and passive parts of the plantarflexors series elastic component stiffness of muscle-tendon complex. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 111(3), 539-548, 2011.
- Van Ginckel A, Baelde N, Almqvist F, Roosen P, McNair P, Witvrouw E. Functional adaptation of knee cartilage in asymptomatic female novice runners compared to sedentary controls. A longitudinal analysis using delayed Gadolinium enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of cartilage (dGEMRIC). Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 18(12):1564-9 2010
- Nordez A, McNair PJ, Casari P, and Cornu C. Static and cyclic stretching: their different effects on the passive torque-angle curve. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 13(1):156-160, 2010.
- Reid, D. and McNair, P. Effects of an acute hamstring stretch in people with and without osteoarthritis of the knee. Physiotherapy, 96(1):14-21, 2010.
- Lewis, G. and McNair P. Heteronymous Ia afferent connections in the upper limb following stroke. Muscle and Nerve, 41(1):71-7, 2010.
- Nordez A, Fouré A, Dombrowski E, Mariot J-P, Cornu C, McNair PJ Improvements to Hoang et al.'s method for measuring passive length-tension properties of human gastrocnemius muscle in vivo. Journal of Biomechanics, 43(2):379-82, 2010
- Rice D. and McNair P. Quadriceps arthrogenic muscle inhibition: Neural mechanisms and treatment perspectives. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 40(3):250-66 2010
- Polson, K, Reid, D, McNair, P, Larmer, P. Responsiveness, Minimal Importance Difference And Minimal Detectable Change Scores Of The Shortened Disability Arm Shoulder Hand (Quickdash) Questionnaire. Manual Therapy,15:404-7, 2010
- Nordez, A., McNair, P, Casari, P., and Cornu, C. The effect of angular velocity and cycle on the dissipative properties of the knee during passive cyclic stretching: a matter of viscosity or solid friction. Clinical Biomechanics, 24(1):77-81, 2009.
- Boocock, M.G., McNair, P. J., Larmer P.J. Collier, J., Simmond, M., and Armstrong B. A framework for the classification and definition of upper extremity musculoskeletal conditions. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism 38(4):296-311, 2009.
- Rice, D. A., McNair, P. J. and Dalbeth, N. The effects of cryotherapy on quadriceps arthrogenic muscle inhibition using an experimental model of joint swelling. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 61(1):78-83, 2009.
- Nordez, A., McNair, P, Casari, P., and Cornu, C. Effects of cyclic stretching on passive mechanical properties of the knee joint: influence of stretching velocity. Clinical Biomechanics 24(1):77-81, 2009.
- McNair, P., Simmonds, M., Boocock, M. and Larmer, P. Exercise therapy in the management of hip osteoarthritis: a systematic review. In press: Arthritis Research and Therapy: http://arthritis-research.com/content/11/3/R98, 2009.
- Boocock M, McNair P, Cicuttini F, Stuart A, and Sinclair T. The short-term effects of running on the deformation of knee articular cartilage and its relationship to biomechanical loads at the knee. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 17(7):869-76, 2009.
- Lewis, G. and McNair P. Muscle inhibition following tendon stimulation is reduced in chronic stroke. Clinical Neurophysiology, 120(9):1732-40, 2009.
- Nordez A, McNair PJ, Casari P, and Cornu C. Characterization and modelling of the musculoarticular complex mechanical behavior in passive conditions: Effects of cyclic and static stretching. IRBM, 30(1), 20-29, 2009